Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Tempting Tuesdays ~ Chocolate Chunk and Carmel Pecan Pie


This week, I'm giving you the recipe that you will keep with you for years to come. I found this recipe for Chocolate Chunk and Carmel Pecan Pie on the Better Homes and Gardens website of all places. I gave it a few of my own little tweaks and took to my kitchen to try it out. It turned out better than I expected and I know this will be a holiday staple in my family for years to come.

Ingredients

1/2 cup of butter
3/4 cup of light-colored corn syrup
2/3 cup of granulated sugar
2/3 cup of packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons of water
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of whipping cream
2 tablespoons of vanilla
2 1/2 cups of pecan halves
3 eggs, lightly beaten
6 ounces of dark, bittersweet, or semisweet chocolate chunks or chips
Pastry for single pie crust
Whipped cream for topping optional

Instructions


To make the Carmel sauce, start off with melting your butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.



Stir in corn syrup, granulated sugar, brown sugar, water, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; reduce heat. 


Boil gently uncovered for 10-12 minutes until mixture is reduced to about 1 3/4 cups, stirring frequently. Then add whipping cream and vanilla.


At this point, you need to let it cool a bit. I let it cool for 30 minutes like the original recipe suggested and it was too thick and I had to reheat it to mix with the nuts. I would suggest letting it cool about 15 minutes then check the consistency.

While your carmel sauce is cooling, you can roll out your pie crust. Roll out your dough large enough for a 9 inch pie plate. This is always the hardest part for me, but somehow I get it done eventually.


Now it's time for the filling. Transfer 1 1/4 cups of your carmel sauce into a large bowl. Stir in eggs until combined. Stir in pecans and chocolate.



 Now pour your filling into your pastry shell.


I don't know about all of you, but I really suck at making the perfect crust edge. For this pie, I took some of the scrap dough and a few cookie cutters to make some little flower shapes. I circled them around the edge and crossed my fingers.



Cover your pie with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes then remove foil.


Return your pie to the oven for 20 minutes or until the filling sets.



Cut a slice and garnish with the extra carmel sauce and whipped cream.





If you are a pecan pie lover, I promise you will love this twist on the classic recipe. The chocolate gives it an extra sweetness that compliments the carmel perfectly.

If you try it out, please let us know what you thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment