Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Tempting Tuesdays ~ Whoopie Pies with Buttercream Filling


Let me take you back. These babies are an oldie but such a goodie. Whoopie Pies have been around in one form or another for decades, yet I had never attempted them on my own. My fear was I couldn't get the cake in those perfect round pieces. A circle cookie cutter solved that problem so I was able to take the recipe from Everyday Occasions and give it a whirl.

Ingredients

For Cake
1 chocolate cake mix
3 eggs
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil

For Filling
2 sticks butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar


Instructions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat.



In a mixer, combine cake mix, eggs, oil, and water. Whip until completely mixed, about 2-3 minutes.



I had several circle cookie cutters on hand. I took the one that was a little smaller than what I wanted my finished product to be and set it on the baking sheet. With a small ice cream scoop or spoon, place batter inside circle and smooth with the back of a spoon. I got six of my desired size on a baking sheet to make three pies. Once completed, I had a total of twelve pies. You may have more or less depending on the size you choose.



Bake for eight minutes then cool on wire rack.



Now, get you filling ready. Combine your butter and powdered sugar in mixer until fluffy, about 5 minutes. You can add up to another cup of powdered sugar if you want, but three cups was plenty for me and I had extra.



You can pipe filling onto the bottom of a pie with a pastry bag or spread it on with a knife or spoon. I find if I'm piping it on, I use more, so I just spread the filling on with a knife.

Place the other half of a pie on top and you've got your Whoopie Pie! These are an easy treat and a nice alternative to cupcakes. Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment