Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Tempting Tuesdays ~ Corned Beef and Cabbage


With St. Patrick's Day only a week a way, I thought I would share with you one of the meals my family makes every year. I've been eating Corned Beef and Cabbage since I cut my first tooth. This meal was more of a tradition in my Irish grandmother's kitchen than turkey. I know I can never duplicate my grandmother's recipe, but this recipe I found on Family Fresh Meals comes really close. Grab your crockpot and let's get cooking.


Ingredients


5-6 garlic cloves, crushed
1 small onion, cut into wedges
3 cups of water
2 TBSP sugar
2 TBSP vinegar
8 oz beer
3-4 lbs corned beef brisket
1 (1 lb) bag of baby carrots
                                              1 head of green cabbage, cut into wedges
1 lb small red potatoes, quartered


seasoning packet ingredients

(leave this out if you are using the packet that comes with the meat.)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 bay leaves, crushed
8 Allspice berries
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper


First, place the onion wedges and crushed garlic at the bottom of your crock pot. These will act as a shelf so your meat won't dry out on the bottom. Place your meat on top of the onions and garlic.

Mix together water, vinegar, sugar, and beer. Pour mixture over meat.


Sprinkle the seasoning packet included with the meat or combination of seasonings listed above. Turn your crockpot on to low and cook for 4 hours.


At the 4 hour mark, add the quartered potatoes and baby carrots. Cook for 3 more hours.


At the 7 hour mark, add the wedged cabbage and cook for an additional hour to hour and a half.

An easy all day recipe!




Enjoy and have a wonderful St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment